[OpenAFS-devel] foreign pts ids

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
21 Aug 2001 22:45:02 -0400

Indeed, the cross-cell IDs are based on a cellID/Counter mechanism.
However, this shouldn't cause much of a problem with anything except,
perhaps, 'ls'.  I don't see why this would cause a problem.

Another option: if you trust that userN@E.KTH.SE == userN@MATH.KTH.SE
(in other words, if you can be assured of a name-equivalence across
realms or at least a flat namespace) you can tell your servers to map
both realms to be equivalent.  This is done in, I believe,
/usr/afs/etc/krb.realms.  The only hitch is that you'll need the same
afs key in both realms, IIRC.

Yet another option, if your different domains are truly that separate,
is to just run multiple AFS cells.  It's just not hard to do so.  You
can still setup cross-cell authentication in order to share
priviledges, but then you dont get the 'ls' problems you would get
from sharing a single cell.

-derek