[OpenAFS-devel] DU64 5.0A: Kernel Build: Multiply defined: xdr_uint64, xdr_int64

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
28 Aug 2001 09:47:09 +0200

Jerome Fournier <Jerome.Fournier@cern.ch> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use OpenAFS client 1.1.1 on a Dec Alpha machine running DUNIX
> 5.0A. I've compiled OpenAFS without any problem, but I have some troubles
> to build a new kernel including the AFS module. This problem has already been
> reported in the past:
>
>     http://lists-openafs.central.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2001-April/000566.html
>     http://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2001-June/001307.html
>
> As described by Dieter Meinert, xdr_int64 and xdr_uint64 functions are
> defined in afs.mod and rpc.mod, therefore the kernel cannot be linked
> properly.
>
> Do you have any recipe to solve this problem?

I wrote a README about installation on Tru64 / Digital UNIX i few
months ago, the short answher is that i woulnt recommend to build in
AFS static in the kernel, kernelmodules was worked out fine here at
KTH since years. We had build ONE kernelmodule the we use on
different kernels, which mens we can run AFS on boxes that for some
reason has been botted on GENERIC-kernels, which is a win.

Of course it should be optional to build a static kernel even if its a
bad idea. I do belive xdr_int64 was introduced in Tru64 5.0, however,
i will try to find out for sure.

My README appended.

Openafs 1.0.3 for Digital UNIX 4.0D and Tru64 5.1

You get the latest version of this document here:
http://www.datorn.e.kth.se/projects/openafs/dist

The following parts of the code were tested:

You schould not use this code for anything else than the EXACT
OS-version.  If you use another version of Tru64/DigitalUNIX/OSF1 you
schould compile your own version.

Digital UNIX 4.0D
=================
Client      : Tested in small scale and seems to work well.
Server      : 1.0.2 tested in largzse scale and works well. (1.0.3 untested)
Userbinaries: Partly tested, but should work.

Tru64 5.1
=========
Client      : client tested and does NOT work proparbly, code for debugging
              purposes ONLY! (kernel crashes on store(?) operations)
Server      : Tested in large scale , does NOT work well.
Userbinaries: Partly tested, but should work.

INSTALLATION

Module. Take the libafs.nonfs.a and do

        ld -dc -r -o /subsys/afs.mod libafs.nonfs.o

and then

        sysconfig -c afs

Won't work if you have any MFS mounted (unless they fixed a certain
bug), and you can't unload.

and then

        run "afsd"

/Jimmy