[OpenAFS-devel] RE: Backups using commercial products

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 22:59:21 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Neulinger, Nathan R. wrote:

> What I wonder is - how hard would it be to access the contents of an AFS
> volume from a file server, without going through AFS itself - i.e. by direct
> file access - sortof a really fast 'vos dump' equivalent.

Good question.  Now that we have the source I'm sure it would be
possible to figure out the structure and read it directly from
disk.  Maybe somebody's even done this already.

The other path to consider is that now that we have the source
maybe someone will figure out why vos dump is so slow and fix
it.

-Mitch