[OpenAFS-devel] MODVERSIONS patch

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
23 Jan 2001 21:26:27 -0500

Daniel Jacobowitz <dmj+afs@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> > Um.. /usr/vice/etc/modload, like on all other AFS Platforms? ;)
>
> It does no harm to put it in with the others; and the FHS is rendered
> greatly wroth by /usr/vice :)

I will admit I'm being pedantic, but it's nice to have OpenAFS be
OpenAFS, regardless of the platform.  OpenAFS != Linux-AFS, and
therefore should not be dependent on Linux-specific things.  The FHS
is certainly not an industry standard, so following it (even if it
would be the "right thing") need not be an OpenAFS goal.

Remember, we have to support NetBSD, Solaris, Irix, NT, and a number
of other platforms which don't necessarily follow the FHS.  Are you
saying we should screw them over because of Linux?  No, I didn't think
so. :)

I should point out that I'm not against the patch.  Indeed, the patch
should be added to the 2.2 config file as well.  In the end, I would
like to see the OpenAFS kernel code integrated into the Linux kernel
(but that's a different thread for a different night ;)  I'm just
pointing out that when you change OpenAFS to meet your own
requirements, you should not expect the OpenAFS developers to bend
over backwards to solve the problems you induced.

> Dan

-derek