[OpenAFS-devel] MODVERSIONS patch

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
24 Jan 2001 12:55:15 -0500

Daniel Jacobowitz <dmj+afs@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> The changing file paths are just cosmetic.

Not true.  For example, the AFS Servers, by default, have the path
/usr/afs/bin hard-coded.  You cannot just move /usr/afs/bin somewhere
else without changing the OpenAFS sources.  All I'm saying is that
OpenAFS shouldn't bend over backwards to fix "problems" when someone
moves the location of a file after OpenAFS generates it.

Yes, this is separate from the modversions patch.  I'm not against the
patch.  I'm against the reasoning for the patch.  The patch should not
be applied because it gives you symbol errors from depmod.  It should
be applied because the libafs module under Linux isn't getting
versioned symbols from the kernel.

> Dan

-derek