[OpenAFS-devel] [Fwd: History of AFS]

Kalvinder Singh ksingh@oz.agile.tv
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:02:24 +1000

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: History of AFS
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:41:54 -0500
From: lws@spinnakernet.com
To: ksingh@oz.agile.tv

 > The reason I ask is I know someone who has had experience with the
 > original CMU code (he told me it was very unmaintainable), anyway, I was
 > hoping that someone here could tell me if the current code is similar to
 > the CMU code, or since it was very hard to maintain most of it (or some
 > of it) was rewritten...

There wasn't much code that was _rewritten_, per se.
There has been a lot of code replaced or added on over the years.
I would estimate that about 30% of the code is strictly original.  Or
put another way, about 60% of the original code remains. There are bits
of the original user-space cache manager there, and all the references
to "venus" and "vice" predate Transarc.  Is your source someone who
worked with the original project, or one of the Coda people?

Some of the newer components are fairly modular, but it is also true
that much of the code is spaghetti.  It was never intended to last this
long.

Bear in mind that Transarc's original plan was for AFS to be terminated
in the spring of 1992.

I don't know of any bits of AFS that were rewritten solely because they
were unmaintainable.

You may forward this to the list if you wish.