[OpenAFS-devel] suggested additional configure option

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 21:36:01 -0400 (EDT)

On 1 Jul 2001, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Derrick> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
>     >> --with-kernel-cc= --with-kernel-cflags=
>     >>
>     >> and perhaps KCC, KCFLAGS env vars to preset them before
>     >> configure run.
>
>     Derrick> Send in a patch. That said, given that the model
>     Derrick> configure already uses is you setting CC and CFLAGS, just
>     Derrick> allow KCC and KCFLAGS and not adding yet more switches to
>     Derrick> the soon-to-be-overwhelming configure script is probably
>     Derrick> a better idea.
>

> Actually, I'd sort of rather AFS not introduce any variables that are
> not part of standard configure without adding switches for them.  If
> you really want to do this you sholud at least document them
> somewhere.

Consider that every feature that can only be enabled at compile time will
already be adding a switch. How many switches can we reasonably expect the
configure; make; make install crowd (who already can't make install, but
that can be fixed, even if it's cheap) to deal with?

-D