[OpenAFS-devel] Soft mounts for /afs root

Ted McCabe ted@MIT.EDU
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:18:16 -0400

At 2:46 PM -0400 6/14/01, Derek Atkins wrote:
>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>
>>  What about aliases?  We use /afs/ir as an alias for /afs/ir.stanford.edu
>>  pretty extensively, for example (and /afs/.ir or /afs/.ir.stanford.edu for
>>  the RW path, which is a similar although not identical issue).
>
>I would hope that there were a configuration file that contained
>a list of aliases.
>
>Question: should we code the convention of a RO <cell> and RW .<cell>
>mountpoint?  This way you only need one set of aliases instead of
>two (.ir -> .ir.stanford.edu would be implied by the defined alias
>of ir -> ir.stanford.edu)

I suspect that if we're going the route of a config file that lists
the aliases, then we should also have that config file describe the
name mapping between RO <cell> and RW <cell> mountpoints.  I have the
hazy recollection of learning of sites that follow a different
convention from the '.' standard.

In any case, (being thorough here) it if it can be described in a
config file, we'll need to be able to change it after boot as well.

    --Ted