[OpenAFS-devel] Soft mounts for /afs root

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:33:31 -0500

From someone who has had bad experiences with automounter (who hasn't?) - I
personally would not like "automatically creating cell mount points when
they are accessed", but what I would like to be able to do is have root.afs
be dynamic on the client side, with a root only fs command that could add
mount points to the dynamic root.afs. Something as simple as "fs addcell
cellname [-mount mntpntname] [-rw]".

Optionally once that functionality is working, it would be simple enough to
add the capability for root on a given machine to allow anyone to issue the
fs addcell command, although I think this is dangerous, at least at the
root.afs level.

Example:
	fs addcell umr.edu -mount .umr.edu -rw
	fs addcell ir.stanford.edu -mount ir
	fs addcell ir.stanford.edu -mount .ir -rw

Those could easily be added to the AFS_POST_CMD variable in the afs startup
scripts.

At some later point, automount style automatic creation of mount points
could be added.

I think the selection of these behaviors could be done nicely by selecting a
new root volume to mount: "-rootvol root.afs.dynamic", "-rootvol
root.afs.automount", or something along those lines.

-- Nathan