[OpenAFS-devel] Extremely newbie question

Andreas V . Meier andreas@roses.de
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:28:48 +0200

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 02:04:36PM -0700, Jonathan Day wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any (relatively painless) way of hooking the openafs code directly into the kernel tree?
>
> Compiling the entire kit is wonderful, and all that, but after I've built the various directories, run the assorted scripts, waved the magic pencil sharpener, and uttered the sacred words of "this snapshot had better **** compile!", I usually get to the point of feeling that there are some elements to this process which could be refined.

might sound simple, but have you tried using rpm packages?
(ok, depends on your os, but i use them - just simple)

> Getting the kernel/module component to compile seperately from the tools, and ideally in the kernel tree itself, would be nice, as it would make it easier for me to figure out where things are breaking and/or blowing up.

again, some machines as i discovered with the help of these mailing lists
get an i586-kernel installed by redhat. there was the point for me to build
my own module. i got the openafs-kernel-source - as a .rpm package, installed it, issued a make build-it and got a fresh and warm kernel module right out of the oven.

> Thanks for any help anyone can give (even if it's just a mild painkiller)

or did i misinterpret your question?

Ciao

Andreas