[OpenAFS-devel] Incorrect password on NT clients to Linux server

ajames%SDYN@sdyn.com ajames%SDYN@sdyn.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:31:28 -0500

Hi folks,

I am getting Incorrect password errors on an NT client connecting to a
single Linux server.  I compiled the source on Linux myself (OpenAFS 1.02
installed per the IBM getting started doc almost verbatim).  I used a
binary on NT that was given to me (didn't have VC++ or IS).  The Linux
client works fine, I can log in as a user and both integrated login and
manual klog work fine.  I used uss to create the user and the default
password is changeme (tried from NT with this password, and tried changing
it on linux then trying from NT with the new one, both fail from NT).

On the NT box, if I give an incorrect username, I get an "incorrect user"
message, so it appears to be making the conncetoin.  There are no messages
logged (that I found) on the server, I checked all files in the
/usr/afs/logs directory and /var/log/messages and /var/log/security.

Has anyone come across this before?  Is there a way I can increase logging
on the server to see the incorrect password event, perhaps with more
details of why the server thinks the PW is invalid?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Albert.