[OpenAFS-devel] libuafs

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:55:29 -0400

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:
> I hate how we still copy rx/* and afs/* to libuafs/ and libafs/.  Can we
> work on eliminating this copy and just building from the source tree?  I
> think the reason for this copy is no longer valid for OpenAFS.
>
> I'm not a Makefile expert but maybe Nathan or Derrick could suggest a way.

Aren't there still kernel-land differences in rx?  Given
that afs is only useful in the kernel, there doesn't seem
to be any good reason to copy that.

Most make's support VPATH, but there are some nasty
portability gotchas, and this might also make it more
tricky to manage building multiple object trees that
share one source tree.  It could probably be done, but
it may take some work to make it work right everywhere
needed.

				-Marcus