[OpenAFS-devel] libuafs

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:05:46 -0500

Marcus Watts wrote:

> Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:
> > I hate how we still copy rx/* and afs/* to libuafs/ and libafs/.  Can we
> > work on eliminating this copy and just building from the source tree?  I
> > think the reason for this copy is no longer valid for OpenAFS.
> >
> > I'm not a Makefile expert but maybe Nathan or Derrick could suggest a way.
>
> Aren't there still kernel-land differences in rx?  Given
> that afs is only useful in the kernel, there doesn't seem
> to be any good reason to copy that.
>
> Most make's support VPATH, but there are some nasty
> portability gotchas, and this might also make it more
> tricky to manage building multiple object trees that
> share one source tree.  It could probably be done, but
> it may take some work to make it work right everywhere
> needed.

Should be possible to do some of the same stuff that is being done for
the des code usage. Basically make targets that depend on files in other
dirs. Should be simple enough to rewrite.

I'm at home with a new baby (Emily, born 8/31 1:07am), so probably won't
get to anything real soon, but the rx and lib*afs Makefiles are on my
rewrite list, I just haven't gotten to them yet, since they are
currently the messiest/most complicated of the bunch.

-- Nathan

CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216