[OpenAFS-devel] Testers needed for Prototypes cvs branch ofopenafs

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:13:51 -0500

> > During "make", LOTS of mesages similar to:
> >
> >   "../afs/afs_server.c", line 718: warning: argument #1 is incompatible
> >       with prototype:
> >   prototype: pointer to struct timeval {long tv_sec, long tv_usec} :
> >       "../afs/../afs/../h/systm.h", line$
> >   argument : pointer to struct  {int tv_sec, int tv_usec}
> >
> > In fact, I'd say about 1/3 of the files compiled resulted in about 5-10
> > sets of such warnings.
>
> You didn't see any of this before because there were no prototypes at all.
> It's not new brokenness, the fog has just raised so you can see it:-)

Alot of these will slowly be corrected as we go along. The prototypes
patch definately results in a lot more warnings if you're used to the
regular build. (Note - if you're used to building with -Wall and
equivalent, the prototypes patch has alot fewer warnings.)

> >   make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../afs/afs_nfsdisp_v3.c', needed by
> >       `afs_nfsdisp_v3.o'.  Stop.
>
> This is at least somewhat interesting, but not really. It's the result of
> trying to build the nfs translator version of the kernel module. There's a
> translator I hacked together which might work, for Solaris only, but it
> doesn't use the afs_nfsdisp_v3.c used before; One file (afs_nfsdisp.c)
> covers nfsv2 and nfsv3. Also not really interesting for the prototype
> work.
>
> touch afs_nfsdisp_v3.o
> touch libafs.o
> and let the build continue. I'm not sure why you see this at all, but I
> have an idea. The thing is, nothing should be trying to build libafs.o by
> name.

Yeah, or just move up with .PHONY: libafs.o target in
MakefileProto.SOLARIS. I think that got moved around during some of the
testing.

-- Nathan