[OpenAFS-devel] AFS and UFS logging (fwd)

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah@stanford.edu
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:15:10 -0700

--On Monday, June 24, 2002 12:06 PM -0400 Nickolai Zeldovich
<kolya@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> Does anyone know if this particular problem has been fixed inside of
>> OpenAFS?  We are looking at using ufs logging, but will keep it off of
>> the  AFS cache location until it is know if this if fixed.
>
> No, it's still present in OpenAFS at the moment.  Keeping a separate
> cache partition is probably the best solution at the moment.  Note
> that, to my understanding, the bug only occurs when your UFS cache
> partition contains other things in addition to the cache.  If you
> are running with a separate /usr/vice/cache partition, enabling
> UFS logging on it should work (but I'm not sure what's the real
> benefit..)
>
> -- kolya

Kolya,

Thanks for the explanation.  We currently run our machines with a seperate
cache partition (/cache :P), so I imagine from what your saying UFS logging
should work.  The reason the question comes up is that for some of our
heavily used machines (students, faculty, etc), if a machine gets rebooted,
often /cache has to be fsck'd to get the machine back up again.  The
thought was to use UFS logging instead, so that fsck'ing should need to
take place.

--Quanah