[OpenAFS-devel] AFS and UFS logging (fwd)

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:26:49 -0400

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:22:44 EDT, "Tim C." <tim@umbc.edu> wrote:

>   We had some older boxes using Transarc's AFS Server that when we turned on
> ufs logging for the /vicep? partition, and rebooted the machine, it would
> practically destroy all volumes on the partition.  I don't know if that's
> been fixed either, but I would assume not.

That's also still true in OpenAFS, though it's an entirely separate issue.
If you really want logging on your /vicep? partitions, you can use the namei
fileserver on Solaris, instead of the default inode-based fileserver; just
build with --enable-namei-fileserver.  (Note that the vice partition format
is different, and you can't run a namei fileserver with existing inode-based
partitions.)

-- kolya