[OpenAFS-devel] zepa.net?

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:01:02 -0400

> Does anyone know what the cell zepa.net is, or why OpenAFS 1.2.5 is
> constantly trying to reach it?  Our webservers are running OpenAFS 1.2.5
> with the -dynroot -afsdb flags, and have no users.  We do not allow people
> to access cells outside of /afs/ir.stanford.edu through our webservers.
> However, the syslog of the machine is full of notices that AFS cannot
> contact 205.245.53.48 in cell zepa.net.  2 of the web server machines have
> also crashed since being upgraded to OpenAFS 1.2.5, and these messages are
> the only noticably odd things I'm seeing in the logs.

  If you really want to restrict access to cells outside of yours from the web
servers, why are you using a dynamic root?  I would suggest creating a
root.cell volume and creating mounts for just your cell.  There doesn't seem to
be any reason to use -dynroot in your situation.
  Are your web servers perhaps running apache?  They just had a DOS
vunerability in all versions except the very latest.  That wouldn't cause the
afs thing, but would perhaps cause the web server to crash.

  Tim