[OpenAFS-devel] eliminating all the various copies that are done with lib*afs builds

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:57:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Neulinger, Nathan wrote:

> I've been playing around with the idea of eliminating all (or at least
> most) of the copies that are done as part of the afs build. I've done a
> little bit of the patching required to accomplish this, and it does seem
> to work cleanly.
>
> Seems to make the build process a little cleaner and faster, since you
> don't have multiple copies of the source files getting copied around
> (especially when you're changing the main .c file).
>
> Is this something that y'all would be interested in applying if I get it
> finished up?
>
> From initial glance, it doesn't look like it would impact the
> only_libafs_tree stuff, but I haven't dug into that real closely.

It does have the side effect of making it impossible to ever get back to
building a standalone kernel source blob, but I'm not sure we'll ever get
back to that point.

How were you doing it, analogous to how tviced builds stuff out of viced?

-D