[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.7-rc4 installation on Jaguar notes

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:29:38 -0400

Chaskiel,
Looking at pam a bit so far, I am not sure that we have to deal with
bundles at all. Just dylib. Do you know what options to throw to cc to
get it to generate a shared object under Darwin since the normal
-shared option is not supported?

Derrick,
I've never built a Mac OS X package (I'm a linux guy at heart). Heh,
maybe now is the time for me to learn . . but as far as that goes, it
still brings the question . . where is afs supposed to go? /usr/vice or
/var/db/openafs ?
I guess the problem I have with this at the moment is that it is
equivalent to saying on a redhat system, make install won't put
everything in the right place, but if you use this script to make an
rpm, then things will work.

On a related note, there are two ways to do things on OS X. The OS X
way or the UNIX way. The install for 10.1 was a mixture of both (ie the
package install but then having to open up a terminal and edit files
which you cannot get to with the finder by default). The problem with
this is for the normal Mac end user who is expecting things to be even
easier than they are under Windows. If the files were in a place where
the "normal Mac enduser" could get to them with the finder and use
TextEdit to edit them, that would be good, say in /Library ?

--
David William Botsch