[OpenAFS-devel] coding standards proposal

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:25:52 -0500

Using ts with any value other than 8 won't work.  Too many applications on
our supported platforms will render this wrong.  While many of them can be
configured, others can't or are difficult (how do you configure ts in
Mozilla?  How about genscript?)

Expanding tabs is a possibility, but I'm not convinced it's necessary.  It
would require changes in the way we do things.  In particular, for me at
least, "cvs commit" would have to do the expansion, because not all the code
I check in comes from my editor, and my normal sanity checks (cvs diff)
won't catch tabs.  Maybe this could be done on the cvs server?  Anyway, it
would be a change from what we do now, and I would want to hear a compelling
reason to change.

The issue of indentation is, or should be, separate from that of tabs.  I
happen to like i4, because it keeps the code from dropping off the right
edge of my screen, and because that's what we have now.  But I could be
convinced to switch to i8, which is what most of our kernels seem to use.
I don't think I would like any other value of i.

My version of indent doesn't like the options you have proposed, so if
someone could make available a file that has been re-indented with the
proposed options, I would appreciate it.  I've been in afs_vcache.c lately
so that would be a good choice.