[OpenAFS-devel] Question on possible change in OpenAFS compilation for UML

Kris Van Hees aedil-afs@alchar.org
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:36:17 -0400

Currently, the support for UML (User Mode Linux) depends on it being compiled
on UML itself, because it detects the host using information in /proc/cpuinfo.
That of course causes an issue if you would want to do the actual compilation
on another Linux system (a real one, not UML) for performance reasons or just
to centralize your compilations.  OpenAFS offers the --with-linux-kernel-headers
option to configure to (possibly) compile against a Linux source tree that is
not identical to the host the compilation is running on.

So the question is...  Do you think that it would be better to have the code
in configure for detecting the appropriate sysname use the information found in
the Linux kernel headers (look for CONFIG_USERMODE set to 1 in <autoconf.h>)
rather than the current check on /proc/cpuinfo?

My guess would be a resounding 'YES' for using the kernel headers, but I'd like
to confirm that before sending in a patch for it :)

	Kris
--
Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,