[OpenAFS-devel] FreeBSD 4.8-stable compile failure

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:23:55 -0500

> Second, why do the fbsd param.h files #define all previous ENVs?  For
> example:

I think that's a inherited transarc'ism. Basically when porting to new
versions, they
just added a new define for anything different. Turns into a nasty mess
though
after a long time. We've done the same in many cases.

Problem is that there are likely to be things in the code that are
ifdef'd for the 4.0 which you'll need to then handle. Moving toward
feature tests is probably the best idea, as we've done with user space
in autoconf. You'll see a few things like that in the linux autoconf
tests and build.=20

Even changing things to ENV_FBSD_FUNKYFEATURE and defining it by hand in
existing param would be an improvement in many cases.

-- Nathan