[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Windows error ERROR_REQ_NOT_ACCEP

Ben Creech bpcreech@eos.ncsu.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:19:23 -0400

To refresh your memories, this past semester, NC State experienced a
problem wherein the OpenAFS Client for Windows would go into a zombie state
and stop responding to traffic on the SMB interface until restarted.  With
some help, we tracked down what we think was the bug in the code, and
installed a patched binary in our labs in order to test it.

We ran a 200-machine experiment in our labs over the past three weeks.  Of
those, 150 or so were running a patched afsd_service.exe.  Out of the 150,
there was a single recurrence of the KTC_NOCM problem out of hundreds of
logins.  Unfortunately, we weren't running with TraceOption set, so I can't
look at the logs and figure out exactly what caused it.  I can say that
Weird Things were going on with that machine at that time (someone's
roaming Novell profile was repeatedly failing to copy back to the server).

However, there were about 50 machines that were running unpatched client.
Of those, there were 4 occurrences of the problem.  This would indicate
that we fixed one bug, although another may well exist.

I might point out that, while 5 occurrences of a problem over one month and
50 machines does not seem like a very big deal, we had a much higher error
rate over the spring semester, when our labs saw heavier usage.

To further investigate, we are currently setting all our lab machines with
TraceOption=1 so that we can see exactly what goes wrong if and when it
does.  Either way, looking at the code (smb_Listener in smb.c), it's fairly
obviously that we should do the following:

*** src/WINNT/afsd/smb.c-1.2.9a Wed Jun 25 14:13:36 2003
--- src/WINNT/afsd/smb.c        Wed Jun 25 14:14:00 2003
***************
*** 5902,5907 ****
--- 5902,5908 ----

        while (1) {