[OpenAFS-devel] Re: sprintf -> snprintf...

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:08:41 -0400

At 12:33 PM -0400 6/27/03, R. Lindsay Todd wrote:
>[Coming late to this discussion, since I'm not on -info]
>
>As other have pointed out, there is an snprintf.c implementation
>in src/util.  [...]  it does support features not found in every
>sprintf, such as %llu and %lld formats for 64-bit integers.
>
>In trying to add LFS to the fileserver, I've needed to be able
>to display integers that might be either 32- or 64-bit,
>depending on compilation options.  [...] The cleanest solution
>I've found, and what I've implemented, is to make cast these
>values to afs_intmax_t or afs_uintmax_t, which are guaranteed
>to be correctly formatted using %lld or %llu, respectively,
>whether or not the AFS_64BIT_ENV is set.

For what it's worth, freebsd-standards policy is to cast to
uintmax_t or u_intmax_t, and then use %ju or %jd to print.
(freebsd-standards is our project to follow posix/SUSv3
standards as closely as possible).  Does afs_snprintf
implement %j?

I *think* it's true that %ll will not necessarily do the right
thing for values of type intmax_t, since it is explicitly for
long-long, while %j is explicitly for intmax_t.  Obviously
those are often the same thing, but I suspect that they are
allowed to be different.