[OpenAFS-devel] AFS Server for Windows

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:50:18 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Otto-Michael BRAUN wrote:

> There are some (important) software packets based on win2k server /
> client architecture. I hoped to be able to integrate them by running the
> win2k server with OpenAFS server services on top. Next try will be wine.

Your fileserver doesn't need to execute the applications -- just provide
them to others over the network.  If you run the AFS server on a linux
machine, you can then set up a win2k server as an AFS client to run those
applications (assuming those servers need access to files in AFS space).

Also keep in mind that the machine acting as the AFS fileserver cannot
directly access the files in stores, so there really is no reason to run
the server on windows.  If you want to export AFS files over SMB, use
samba.

[ t charles clancy ]--[ tclancy@uiuc.edu ]--[ www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy ]