[OpenAFS-devel] TSM / XBSA backup support on Linux

Matt Bacchi mbacchi@gmavt.net
Mon, 26 May 2003 10:40:07 -0400

There have been a couple questions regarding this recently, so I'll
comment on what I can.  The XBSA library is simply a compatibility layer
that acts as the glue to interface the AFS butc backup code with the TSM
API.  This XBSA library is distributed by Tivoli with their client
packages, and I have been told by TSM development that there are no
plans to develop or distribute a library for Linux.

Therefore the current workarounds are what Andrew and Harald have
mentioned previously.

I believe the long term solution would be to rewrite butc to interface
with the TSM API directly, removing the XBSA library calls entirely.  I
am not aware of anyone currently working on this, but when I looked at
it a few months ago, I estimated the work to be minimal.  The obvious
requirement being a TSM test environment which are few and far between.

-Matt