[OpenAFS-devel] winxp netbios issues

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:56:54 -0700

bug: opening Excel files on AFS drives is REALLY slow, unless there's an
lmhosts entry

my setup:
openafs 1.2.11 (cvs), WinXP, loopback adapter, broadband (200kbps to server)

to reproduce:
1. open an Excel doc on an OpenAFS drive
2. repeat open several times to make sure the file is really in the local
cache.
3. Each open takes about 30-40 seconds.

workaround
1. add "127.0.0.1 noel-afs #pre" to lmhosts
2. do "nbtstat -R"
3. open Excel doc again
4. Now the open only takes <5 sec.

Why?  What does lmhosts do that makes the open that much faster?

I think the problem is resolving the "noel-afs" share name.  (My computer
name is "noel".)  I notice that "nbtstat -n noel-afs" takes a long time
before and after setting lmhosts, but I suspect the lmhosts hack resolves
noel-afs before checking all network adapters.  The question is, can afsd
fix this without hacking lmhosts?

Any NetBIOS gurus out there?  (yeah right...)

--Noel

Noel Burton-Krahn
noel@bkbox.com

BKbox - The total remote office solution
http://www.bkbox.com