[OpenAFS-devel] Re: OpenAFS-devel digest, Vol 1 #934 - 8 msgs

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:35:25 -0400

While autoconfigure would be nice, the only sane way to do this is via
manual configuration.

You can have marsnet addresses that don't need these periodic keepalives,
for example if the nat has timouts greater than 600 sec.  And you can have
non-marsnet addresses that do need keepalives, for example a client behind a
non-nat firewall.

You also would like to be able to configure the interval, so if you know
what it should be you don't hit your servers any more often that necessary.

There is no automatic way to detect that keepalives are needed, and if so
how frequently.

Ok, maybe some kind of agent that notices all servers are going down at
various times, and does a binary search on the proper probe interval.  I
don't want to implement this, do you?

While we're at it, I'd like to have a way to reduce the rx mtu, for those
seriously broken nats that don't reassemble frags.