[OpenAFS-devel] pr_Initialize falis when called

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:45:07 -0400

On   wrote:

> <Pine.GSO.4.61-042.0408061202140.26136@johnstown.andrew.cmu.edu><35461.35
> .10.2.90.1091810490.squirrel@vampyrus.envirobat.org>

Gee, it would sure help if whoeever is using a mailer that inserts random
blank lines in the middle of headers would fix it...

> The debugger messages being displayed around the vicinity of the error
> take place within the module "rx/rx.c" on line number 758 (that is with
> the inclusion of some debug print statements) right here:
> printf ( "in rx2\n" );
>     RXS_NewConnection(securityObject, conn);    <------
> printf ( "in rx3\n" );

Sounds like someone is calling rx_NewConnection with a bad security object.
RXS_NewConnection is a method-invocation wrapper.  It looks inside the
security object to find a pointer to the "new connection" method for that
object, and calls it.

If your program is actually crashing on this line, and not inside
rxkad_NewConnection, then either the secobj contains a bad method pointer,
or more likely, the secobj pointer itself is bad.

Unfortunately, the backtrace you sent was somewhat mangled by cut-and-paste
and by being quoted-printable encoded in a message that doesn't include an
appropriate content-transfer-encoding header (again, due to the extraneous
blank lines).  Worse, it appears that some of the data in the backtrace is
bogus.

I would suggest you do the following:

- rebuild the relevant binaries (including the AFS libraries) with
  debugging support (-g) and without any optimization, if you have not
  already done so.
- Put the core file and the executable that generated it somewhere
  where we can see them (maybe somewhere in AFS?)
- Change your password

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer