[OpenAFS-devel] How stable is afsd with cache on /dev/loop ???

Kuba Ober kuba@mareimbrium.org
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:14:01 -0500

> I was try install openAFS 1.2.13 on my linux(2.4.22) machine.
> afsd require ext2 filesystem for itself's cache but all my filesystem have
> ext3.

Won't afs's cache work on an ext3 file system? After all it's just ext2 with
metadata journaling.

> I create a file with size 130M format it to ext2 end mount it to
> /usr/vice/cache via loop.
>
> But afsd sometimes go down with all system. also kernel message in log
> about filesystem corruption on /dev/loop.
>
> afsd configured to use little more then 100MB of cache.
>
> Question: it's like disk corruption or afsd bug???
>
> if I move cache from loop to raw partition it will be more stable???
>
> afsd always dead at time intensive afs usage (about some hundreds files per
> second)

Maybe there's a race/deadlock somewhere in the loop device code.

Cheers, Kuba Ober