[OpenAFS-devel] Fully Functional Client on Linux 2.6

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:41:41 -0400

On Sunday, July 04, 2004 23:44:07 +0200 Tomas Olsson <tol@stacken.kth.se>
wrote:

> Besides, I'm not sure that patching the syscall table is all that
> beautiful a practice.

No, of course not.  There should be a registration mechansim.

>> I expect I'd be a lot less bitter if the Linux folks hadn't decided to
>> unexport the sys_call_table without providing us a mechanism to
>> continue providing our syscall, _especially_ when they _did_ provide
>> such a mechansim for the NFS server.
>>

> Some wild guesses, feel free to correct me:
> lkml people used NFS. Nobody had any experience with AFS or the like. And
> why include an ugly, multiplexing syscall that passes various pointers
> around, when "nobody" uses it?

They have plenty of other ugly things that pass pointers around.
Hell, the SCSI-generic interface consists of _writing_ a data structure
that contains a pointer to user space.  You can't get much uglier than that.

They were asked to provide a registration interface similar to that
provided for NFS.  They failed to do so.

-- Jeff