[OpenAFS-devel] Problems using the RedHat patches to get OpenAFS working on Debian using 2.6 kernel

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:13:13 -0400

On Tuesday, July 06, 2004 01:00:12 +0200 Rainer Sch=F6pf=20
<rainer.schoepf@proteosys.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Christine Nattrass wrote:
>
>  > I'm running Debian Linux with the 2.6.7 kernel.  Exactly what I did is
>  > up at:
>  > http://pantheon.yale.edu/~cen8/Openafs.html
>  > (because, ironically, in my optimism, I thought it was going to work
> and  > I was going to post something to help other people)
>  >
>  > however when I type
>  >    /usr/local/sbin/afsd
>  > to start afs I get a segementation fault
>  >
>  > I had no compiler errors, however, when I look in /var/log/messages I
> see:  >
>  > [...]
>
> Is this perhaps an XFS partition on which the AFS cache resides? This
> won't work. You might try running afsd with the -memcache option.

Possibly not XFS, but this does sure look like the cache is not on a=20
filesystem that will work.  Put the cache on an ext2 or ext3 filesystem, or =

use memcache.  XFS and reiserfs will not work.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer