[OpenAFS-devel] Re: morethan1fileserver!

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:51:01 +0200

On Jul 14, 2004, at 3:57 PM, prasanna wakhare wrote:

>  hi,
> Thanks Horst,
> I had configured more than 1 fileserver but I'm not
> abe to create volumes on /vicepb of 2nd machine which
> is just a file server not a data base server
> on vos create it will give
> that
> Could not get an ID for Volume user
> VLDB:no permission access for call

You don't have permission to do that. You should be administrator (this
means AFS administrator).

> I had tried this throughout the day
> and atlast prefer to trouble you and others on mailing
> list
> please what this /vicepb is creating problem

The viceX is the partition. A very good description of how you can set
up a partition on the various platforms is in the OpenAFS
documentation.
The partition is the upper limit of your space for an AFS volume on
that server (similar to your harddisk). You can have more than one
partition per fileserver in which there are one or more volumes.

Without any partition you can't create volumes. You can do a "vos
listpart <servername>" to have a look at the partitions your fileserver
provides.

> i'm not able to create any user on second fileserver's
> local harddisk

you never create any user on the fileserver.
Users are exclusively on kaserver or Kerberos for authentication and in
ptserver for the groups and ids.
They're never stored on the fileserver due to the centralized user
handling in AFS.

Horst