[OpenAFS-devel] Problem with OpenAFS fileserver

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Onime Clement wrote:

> This morning some clients (random) started expirienceing lockups and
> attempts to reboot failed at stopping AFS (client hung) and after a hard
> reset, the client stopped at Starting afsd process. After logging in as
> root, several afsd process are shown as defunct.

curiousity: get a core or a backtrace of a fileserver while this is going
on, see if it's hung getting or releasing a peer_lock mutex.

> I am perplexed as to why bos should say the fileserver is working normally
> when it seemed to be blocking the clients

pthreads lossage.

> Are there any other checks to see if the fileserver is working fine?
> Also does anyone have any idea as why this (DOS) is happening and how to
> prevent it happening again ?

probably "get and apply the patches from 1.2.12 i told rainer about a few
days ago" or "wait for 1.2.12". i'm still waiting on binary builders. i
probably shouldn't wait much longer.