[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS server 1.3.80 on x86_64

Ulrich Schwickerath ulrich.schwickerath@iwr.fzk.de
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:05:05 +0200

Hi, again,

sorry for the long period of silence from my side, I was mostly out of office
this week, and only now managed to resumed working on this toppic. In order
to exclude basic errors or errors introduced by third party RPM's I started
from scratch on both a i386 and a amd64 system, both SMP running kernel
version, and both reinstalled from scratch. Both nodes are AMD Opteron nodes.
The operating system is SL303, and the kernel version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp. I
started with the original tar balls from open IB (version openafs-1.3.80),
and did a basic configuration aka
./configure --enable-transarc-paths
make
make dest
repeating the same step on both nodes. While it works on the i386 system, I
reproduced the reported problem on the 64bit Opteron node, that is when
trying to start the client without -dynroot it gets stuck (although the
root.afs and root.client volumes are  there) , if using -dynroot afs is
mounted, but if I try to access it eg. with fs, fs itself gets stuck
(previously I evens saw a segfault at this step but no oops in the syslog
which I could send you). So, I think there is definitely problem for Opterons
on 64bit. I can live running the box with i386 system on it, and that is most
probably what I'm going to do now, but if there is any more piece of
information that I can send to you to be able to investigate the problem
please let me know. It would be really nice to find a solution for this :-)

Many thank's for all the tipps that I got from you!
Ulrich
Dr. Ulrich Schwickerath
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe
GRID-Computing and e-Science
Institut for Scientific Computing (IWR)
P.O. Box 36 40
76021 Karlsruhe, Germany

Tel: +49(7247)82-8607
Fax: +49(7247)82-4972

e-mail: ulrich.schwickerath@iwr.fzk.de
PGP DH/DSS Key: ID 0xCEB9826F
Fingerprint: 5537 8473 CD26 507E 8EE2  BAAF 98E2 FD16 CEB9 826F