[OpenAFS-devel] AFS/DFS Mount points

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:07:25 -0400 (EDT)

AFS (and DFS) mount points are indicated by a % or a # as the first
character in a symlink target.  This creates the occasional rare/odd
problem with real filenames that have these characters as names.

Is anyone interested in creating a new afs inode type to represent mount
points so that they can't be accidentally created with symlinks?

I would presume that it wouldn't be too hard for the client side to
support both to allow for easy migration.  A period of say, two or three
years?

DFS has the same issue, and I would propose a similar solution, perhaps
even coordinated somehow.

		--Dean

[ BTW, opendce:  I have a couple old IBM AIX systems that run DCE/DFS from
source (1.2.2, I think).  Currently, they are sitting idle on a shelf.
They haven't been plugged in for years.  DFS doesn't work on Linux, I
think, and a port could benefit by access to a working reference client
and server. Let me know if anyone is interested.]

617 344 9000