[OpenAFS-devel] mozilla ldap

Brett L. Trotter blt@iastate.edu
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:31:20 -0500

The mozilla ldap library compilation isnt too bad.. though the configure
scripts don't set up all of the include paths quite right.. either way,
trying to compile against the red hat enterprise linux provided versions
worked more or less.. but getting it installed proved to be a bit of a pain.

In any case.. I've gotten a little confused as to what is ok and what is not..

Mozilla LDAP is apparently LGPL.. which apparently the gatekeepers cannot
commit code that links to it regardless of true license compatibility..

my existing code is OpenLDAP which is the OpenLDAP license and supposedly very
close to the BSD license..

So it sounds like one of a few things needs to happen
1) The ability to commit code that links against LGPL needs to be evaluated
(not even talking about including verbatim or even modified copies of LGPL
licensed code- merely code that links against an LGPL library)
2) The OpenLDAP v2.8 license needs to be evaluated and determined to be
compatible with the IPL - or at least whether or not code that links against
the OpenLDAP libraries can be included.
or
3) I need to write an IBM public license compatible ldap client- which I'm
probably not going to be able to complete in this lifetime.