[OpenAFS-devel] pthread servers?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:43:07 -0400

On Monday, August 15, 2005 05:15:21 PM -0400 Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
wrote:

> I'll admit I haven't been paying attention to the pthread file and vol
> servers.  Are they considered stable?  Preferable?  Why do we build both
> the lwp and pthread servers?

The pthread fileserver has been available for a very long time, like since
before OpenAFS.  It is quite stable, and generally performs considerably
better than the LWP-based version.

The pthread volserver is quite a bit more recent, and I don't really know
how stable it is yet.  I guess that depends on how many people are using it.

The LWP versions of these packages are always built; the pthread versions
are built only on platforms where they are supported.  In general, the
pthread versions are installed when they are supported, and the LWP
versions otherwise, though the install rules in the Makefile.in in each
directory should be consulted for the exact patterns.

The reason that we build both directories on pthread platforms is because
the tviced and tvolser directories build only the pthread-using versions of
the actual server programs.  Other support files are always built and
installed as part of the viced and volser directories.  This is
particularly important in the case of the volser directory, which contains
a library (libvolser.a) which must be built to use LWP, as well as several
programs which link against that library.

-- Jeff