[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to implement default tuning proposal discussed a while ago

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:47:57 -0700

Niklas Edmundsson <Niklas.Edmundsson@hpc2n.umu.se> writes:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Note that I just uploaded 1.3.87 packages to Debian unstable which,
>> among other things, completely redo the init script logic and defaults
>> to implement (in a coarse fashion) the tuning advice from the previous
>> thread.  I'd be very curious about any feedback.

> I was hoping that the default logic in afsd could be updated to
> something useful (hence my patch), and that we then could remove the
> various tuning made in the init scripts due to the fact that afsd
> didn't do reasonable tuning by default.

Oh, I'm sure it will!  That's just likely not a 1.4.0 thing, so I went
ahead and did something similar directly in the init script for the Debian
unstable packages so that we can get some early experience with it.  I'm
hoping to thereby get some evidence to back up including this change into
1.4.1 or 1.4.2.

> I haven't actually recieved that much useful comments on the patch,
> other than the obvious typo and the "why 32k avg filesize when 10k has
> worked for ages"-debate. I'd like to know whether something should be
> revised, if I need to submit a patch without the typo, or whatever. In
> any case, it's much better than what's currently in there so even though
> it isn't perfect it's a big improvement.

I haven't reviewed it in detail, but agree strongly with the premise.

>> I'm working on an openafs-doc package now, and then when that's done,
>> will review the various feedback on the cell setup scripts and go to
>> work on those.

> Someone really ought to update the afsd manpage, the options available
> and the options documented differ quite a lot.

There are no man pages; there are text documents that are formatted
vaguely like man pages but aren't really useful substitutes.  I have a
patch to start the process of converting the HTML documents to POD so that
we have man pages that we can really update.  This too is something for
after 1.4.0.

(Currently, it puts them in the doc tree, but when we get around to
discussing this, I think they'd be better in the src tree, replacing the
existing man page directory.  That would also make my life easier as a
packager.)