[OpenAFS-devel] Patch to implement default tuning proposal discussed a while ago

Niklas Edmundsson Niklas.Edmundsson@hpc2n.umu.se
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:30:52 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
>
>> I'm running with the following afsd command line (which is what the
>> debian packages decided to set it too.. I'll happill take suggestions on
>> better optimizations, or how to find out what's thrashing)
>
>> /usr/sbin/afsd -stat 2000 -dcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70 -fakestat
>> -afsdb -nosettime
>
> Note that I just uploaded 1.3.87 packages to Debian unstable which, among
> other things, completely redo the init script logic and defaults to
> implement (in a coarse fashion) the tuning advice from the previous
> thread.  I'd be very curious about any feedback.

I was hoping that the default logic in afsd could be updated to
something useful (hence my patch), and that we then could remove the
various tuning made in the init scripts due to the fact that afsd
didn't do reasonable tuning by default.

I haven't actually recieved that much useful comments on the patch,
other than the obvious typo and the "why 32k avg filesize when 10k has
worked for ages"-debate. I'd like to know whether something should be
revised, if I need to submit a patch without the typo, or whatever. In
any case, it's much better than what's currently in there so even
though it isn't perfect it's a big improvement.

And to go out on a limb, let's look a bit into the future. The current
trend is that file sizes increase, as usual. The reason to this is new
applications, like megapixel digital cameras producing lots of rather
large files, large file support in AFS will open a new set of possible
uses (dvd-images, weird scientific software, etc), and so on. Legacy
applications doesn't drive this development (.bashrc et al is still
the same size), but new applications do. And AFS really needs to be
ready for this, although I agree that we need to handle both extremes
of usage patterns decently.

> I'm working on an openafs-doc package now, and then when that's done, will
> review the various feedback on the cell setup scripts and go to work on
> those.

Someone really ought to update the afsd manpage, the options available
and the options documented differ quite a lot.

/Nikke
  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}.umu.se     |    nikke@hpc2n.umu.se
  Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.