[OpenAFS-devel] --enable-namei-fileserver and --enable-largefile-fileserver

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:53:49 +0200

On Aug 22, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
>

>>> I want to make --enable-namei-fileserver and --enable-largefile-
>>> fileserver
>>> be the default for the BSDs.  The inode server isn't really
>>> stable and I
>>> don't see any reason to continue supporting it.  And I don't see
>>> any point
>>> in not building with largefile support.  I suspect other
>>> platforms are in
>>> the same boat.
>>> Should we make these the default for all platforms, and add
>>> corresponding
>>> --disable-foo options?  Do this just for the BSDs?
>>>

>> Well, the AIX servers aren't that stable compiled with largefile
>> support.
>> The salvager isn't working properly either.
>>

> Shouldn't that code be rather OS independent, or am I missing
> something? I can understand if the inode server-related stuff (fsck
> etc) goes bananas due to largefiles, but the generic salvager
> really should not...

It isn't entirely like that ;-)
I was never able to track down the problem (maybe there are more) on
AIX, but then again I never looked that closely.

>> I don't think it would be a big deal, but somebody has to debug
>> and fix that.
>> (if possible, before we make it the default ;-) )
>>

> Making it the default on the platforms that has it tested and
> proven stable would be a start, which are those anyway?

I'm not against it ... don't get me wrong. I was just telling, that
there are some issues, where somebody has to look into.
I promised, I would look into those issues but didn't get to it,
since I've been beyond busy the last few month.

It wouldn't be a problem, if we write something like that into the
release documentation, so that people on some platforms disable
'dangerous' features.

Horst