[OpenAFS-devel] --fast-restart?

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:25:46 +0200

chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> the NEWS file says:
>
> ** If the --enable-fast-restart flag is given when configuring AFS,
>    then the salvager supports the -dontsalvage flag which causes it to
>    exit without salvaging any volumes.  If this is configured into the
>    third command of a fs process, then the fileserver will start without
>    salvaging.  It will fail to attach volumes that need salvaging and they
>    can be salvaged manually.  This provides significantly better server
>    startup performance at the cost of administrative complexity.
>
> but what i dont understand is how volumes get marked as needing
> salvaged?  salvager doesnt do it and fileserver doesnt do it.
> what does?
>
> if i kill -9 a fast-restart fileserver it reattaches all the volumes
> without a complaint.  this seems "bad".

In the old days when the fileserver killed himself whenever he found an
inconsistency it was dangerous not to salvage the volumes after a crash.
Today the fileserver typically will take the volume off-line when he
detects an inconsistency. This is also logged in the FileLog and the
admin can then manually salvage this single volume. If you looked into
the SalvageLogs which were created after a crash without
--enable-fast-restart you nearly never found entries other than that the
volume uniquifier had been incremented by 200. Therefor and because the
slavage some times took more than an hour I decided to skip this
automatic salvage. But it should still be configurable, therefore this
option.

Hartmut