[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Rx TCP, general-purpose Rx

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:08:13 -0500

On Wednesday, February 16, 2005 03:58:10 PM -0500 Matt Benjamin
<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> Have some notes been posted about the Rx TCP transport design?  Is there
> some Arla development going on in the same direction, as well (just
> checking, I didn't see anything on arla-drinkers)?

Well, the design work involved people from both groups, so yes, I believe
there is concurrent development going on.  I don't believe anything was
posted, but Magnus left some notes from our design discussions in
/afs/stacken.kth.se/projects/arla/hackathon-2004/tcp/rxtcp

> It begins to appear to me, a modernizing Rx would be might more
> attractive as a general-purpose RPC mechanism for new programs than the
> various things I might have used in the past.  Is that a naive view?

I don't think it's naive.  I've always found Rx to be less of a pain to
work with than SUNRPC, for a variety of reasons.  I've used it in several
projects, and I think that aside from the security issues that also affect
AFS, it is suitable for such use even today.  Most things have less
demanding performance requirements than does a distributed filesystem.

-- Jeff