[OpenAFS-devel] Re: some requests

Mattson, Steve hobbes@engin.umich.edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:47:33 -0500

One vos listvol vs. VLDB difference is that vos listvol will show you
volumes on the disk that have no corresponding entries in the VLDB.
This most often happens for us when folks who only occasionally manage
volumes issue vos remsite instead of vos remove.  But you'll figure that
out when you find yourself wondering why all of your well-formatted and
extended stats related to a particular, apparently perfectly good volume
are all zeroes because no one can traverse the VLDB and arrive at it. :)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-devel-admin@openafs.org
[mailto:openafs-devel-admin@openafs.org] On Behalf Of Peter Somogyi
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Jeffrey Hutzelman; openafs-devel@openafs.org
Cc: Sven Oehme; Derrick J Brashear
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: some requests

Hi Jeff,

On Monday 21 February 2005 19.18, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> ># 01:
> Before I can comment on this, I need to understand how it is different
from
> what 'vos listvol -long' already does.
I think we would need "vos listvol <server> [<partition>] -long
-extended -format", if it would work correctly.
It doesn't format the output. (It works good only without -extended.)

> ># 02:
> I don't understand where the VLDB comes into this; the VLDB and the
volume
> headers are not the same thing.
I'm sorry, forget VLDB. (It was just in the request description which I
didn't want to touch.)
I think exactly the volume header (src/volume.h/VolumeDiskData struct)
would have to be extened to include this new counter.

> You seem to be missing a #03.
Yes, there is a point #03 which is still under discussion at our side. I
just didn't want to shift the task numbers.

Peter