[OpenAFS-devel] directory trashing

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:27:10 -0500

On Thursday, January 13, 2005 17:09:31 -0500 Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
wrote:

> Here's something that bothers me.  The old struct buffer used to carry
> around an inode number, which is always good as long as the file is still
> there. The new struct buffer carries a pointer to a dcache, which is a
> volatile thing that can come and go.  If I'm creating large numbers of
> files, is it possible for the directory buffers to be pointing to dcaches
> that are no longer valid?

It used to contain the inode number of a cache chunk; now it's a pointer to
a dcache entry.  While it is true that not all chunks have dcache entries
at any given time, it should be the case that the dcache pointer will be
valid for as long as the inode number would have been (basically, only as
long as the thing calling into the dir package has the required lock).

-- Jeff