[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump/volserver slowness/lack of buffering?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:03:10 -0500

Has anyone looked into making volserver/vos dump go any faster? Is there
any way to coalesce multiple small files into one RPC call, or
pre-buffer files from disk?

I'm seeing around an average of 10MB/sec, and performance goes in the
toilet when the volume has lots of small files.

This has basically prevented vos backup/etc from ever being able to go
fast enough to get my DLT8000 drive to stream, and I think probably
prematurely wore out one of my drives.

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer@hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz