[OpenAFS-devel] linux 2.6.11.4 and bogus 'setting clock back'

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:40:04 -0500

On Thursday, March 17, 2005 09:41:08 PM -0500 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Jim Rees wrote:
>
>> -nosettime as default is in.  Please send me patches for the rest.  Think
>> about making them dynamic, based on cache size.  Don't forget the release
>> notes (NEWS at the top of cvs) if appropriate.
>>
>> Please don't just sit back and wait for "the developers" to make changes
>> like this.  YOU are the developers.
>
> This has actually been one of our ongoing issues, most of our patches
> come from only a small handful of people. Aside from issues where we
> pushed things back which needed a little tweaking or were clearly broken
> (like, no, it's not ok to link libc into a kernel module) the other thing
> I can think of we haven't taken recently is patches for aklog, and the
> upstream maintainer asked us not to.

The gatekeepers make a good point here.

If you are reading this mailing list, you are an OpenAFS developer.
That means you are welcome to contribute to discussions about new features,
code changes, tracking down and fixing bugs, and so on.
It _also_ means you are welcome to contribute patches for those things.

Of course reviewing patches requires cycles from gatekeepers and from other
people who take it upon themselves to review and comment on proposed
patches (BTW, anyone reading this list is welcome to do _that_, too).  But
reviewing and applying a patch takes less time than writing that patch
would have.  So, the more people who contribute, the more quickly things
can move along.

-- Jeff