[OpenAFS-devel] Patches that need some review

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:56:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:

> linux-ioctl-update: The linux ioctl inode op is evolving, mostly to eliminate
> it's use of the 'big kernel lock'. A new operation, unlocked_ioctl was added
> to file_operations. if unlocked_ioctl is present, it is used to handle ioctl
> operations instead of ioctl.
>
> In addition, another new operation was added, compat_ioctl, which is used
> when a 32 bit process calls ioctl on a 64 bit kernel (instead of the old way
> where the 32 bit handlers were registered on a globally on per-ioctl-number
> basis, rather than being part of the driver or filesystem.)
>
> The nifty thing about this new feature is that it's self identifying!. no new
> configure tests are needed. details at <http://lwn.net/Articles/119652/>

My hat's off to the person who thought to do this, and I'll buy the a
tasty beverage of their choice if I figure out who, and see them. This is
the sort of api I like to work with.