[OpenAFS-devel] afsd-1.4.0-rc3 problems

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:12:20 +0200

chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> In message <4332EFDB.1070705@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz>,=?windows-1252?Q?Martin_MOKREJ=8A?= writes:
>
>> I have problem to get running a huge cache on an SMP linux box.
>>The same cache size works fine on non-SMP boxes using same ext2 filesystem.
>>On the problematic host, I can start using 3.6GB cache, but not 36GB large.
>

> i cant explain why either would work.  the current code to compute cache
> fullness overflows values around 20GB which would limits this cache to
> something like 16GB.  to play it safe, the 18GB is the largest cache
> i would try with the 1.4.0 release.  this will likely be fixed in a
> later release.
>
> what are you trying to cache?

Some files of size up to 2-3GB each.

>>** Cache entry @ 0xde6d2d64 for 163.536870913.1.1 [phylo.natur.cuni.cz]
>>   locks: (none_waiting, write_locked(pid:8017 at:54))
>>   6510615555426900570 bytes   DV 0 refcnt 2
>

> this value is disturbing.

Would you send me a patch so that afsd would printk some debug text on it's startup?
Few times I was playing with the afsd process, I managed to get afs started and mounted,
but any command, like /bin/ls did not return back to the parent commandline shell.
Basically, the machine had to be reset. Yes, I could login through ssh many times,
bout could not efectively execute any single command. This is probably a different
problem compared to the startup/mount problem, but just wanted to mention this too.

I think I need printk patches if this problem should be traced.
M.