[OpenAFS-devel] openafs-1.4.1 build failure on RHEL3 -- aklog fails to build

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:51:03 -0400

>In trying to build 1.4.1 on RHEL3 it appears the checks for
>krb5/krb524 libraries are insufficient.   RHEL3 ships mit krb5
>1.2.7, which has a separate krb524 library.  I had a fix for
>the krb5 migration kit that would test whether the krb524 functions
>are in the standard krb5 libraries and, if not, attempt to add -lkrb524
>and see if it worked.  Should I create a patch to openafs that
>performs a similar series of tests?

Sigh.  I really struggled with this.  Part of what made the aklog
autoconf tests so difficult back in the migration kit days was the
wacky handling I had to do for the seperate 524 library (especially
since I was trying to go to the use of krb5-config).  Getting
everything right ended up being a nightmare.  When we did the aklog
integration for OpenAFS, we decided that Kerberos versions earlier than
1.3 were not going to be supported, for this very reason.  Considering
how fragile the whole build process is with aklog right now, I am
not crazy about modifying it further, especially to support four year
old versions of Kerberos.

I will note that the function in the MIT library is krb5_524_convert_creds();
the symbol name krb524_convert_creds_kdc is for Heimdal.

--Ken